incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Glasgow into Incubator
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:27:53 GMT
On 8/4/06, J Aaron Farr <farra@apache.org> wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:54:14PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > > I'm sorry, but I have to vote -1 (binding).
> > >
> > I very much agree with Garretts concerns - and would be much in favor of
> > not bringing the project into incubation before they have proven an
> > actual community and that they can work the standard the "apache way".
> > I feel it would look very much as an ASF endorsement of a standard that
> > we may not have any influence on at all - maybe things will look
> > different in a few months time, but right now I'm far from convinced.
>
> I understand that there are some specific circumstances in this case,
> but in general I believe this sort of criteria is why we get
> complaints that it's impossible to "innovate" at Apache any more.  We
> require all the grunt work of innovation to occur outside of Apache.
>
> The issues of an open specification is one thing.  But aren't "proven
> an actual community" and "work the standard 'apache way'" graduation
> requirements, not entry requirements?  If we expect something coming
> into the incubator to already have a fully functioning, health
> Apache-style community, then the only point of the Incubator is for
> handling licensing issues.

For what it's worth, I don't have any intrinsic problem with a group
bringing some code to the ASF in an attempt to start a community
around it, as long as that's what's actually happening.  The general
feeling I got from reading the mail around this proposal wasn't
leaning in that direction, now that could just be a missunderstanding
on my part, but it is part of what convinced me to vote -1.

-garrett