incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: horses and carts; was: Accept Glasgow into Incubator
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:34:21 GMT
On 8/3/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Mads, I'm not sure if you meant to vote, but it raises a dialog so I'm
> forking the subject.
>
> Mads Toftum wrote:
> > I very much agree with Garretts concerns - and would be much in favor of
> > not bringing the project into incubation before they have proven an
> > actual community and that they can work the standard the "apache way".
>
> Which is the cart and which is the horse?  Code like stdcxx, derby, etc
> don't come from "apache way" communities.  Working in an OSS community
> is a learned skill.  These projects come to us with good code, and they
> come asking to learn how to operate as a community, rather than the
> traditional commercial development models.
>
> And what's the role of the incubator if not to teach those skills?

FWIW, I don't have any problem with people showing up at the incubator
with some code and wanting to build a community around it, that's just
fine.  I just want it to actually feel like that's the goal, and in
this case that wasn't the feeling I was getting.  Now it's perfectly
possible that I was just getting the wrong impression, I could
certainly be wrong, and it's quite hard to tell for sure when
everything the people bringing this proposal to us says is behind
closed doors except their conclusions.

-garrett