incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:23:12 GMT
Hi,

On Aug 9, 2006, at 6:06 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Has anyone ever considered making IRC chats available (on some
>> basis) as
>> an Apache archive? Seems that Apache (myself included) doesn't
>> like IRC
>> so much because it is not available to those of us who because of
>> time
>> zone or other reasons can't attend.
>
> No - mostly because IRC CANNOT BE USED to make project decisions.

I understand and agree.

> It's lovely for beating down a problem, kicking around ideas, but
> those
> ideas MUST COME BACK TO dev@.  Decisions themselves must be made on
> dev@.

Sure, but lots of discussion on dev@ doesn't result in a decision
either.

> It's the responsibility of the project participants to grab any useful
> log thread, forward it on to the dev@ list to get people thinking and
> voting.

I don't think that even 5% of the dev@ discussion is decision-making,
voting, or anything more than chat.

> Automatically capturing IRC logs undermines this responsibility and
> harms
> the project (for exactly the reasons you point out above).

I'm not sure what part of capturing IRC logs undermines anything.

Perhaps what I'm suggesting is that IRC can be more useful if there
were some tool that the participants could use to summarize the
discussion. Given that everyone knows that IRC is not a decision-
making tool but a communications tool.

If the state of the art is that someone on IRC has to take
responsibility to log the chat and people by nature are lazy
(Malthus, anyone?) it's more likely than not that IRC chats won't be
logged. Wicket excluded. How do they do this?

Craig