incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Glasgow naming: proposal
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:23:33 GMT
That's right!

adffaces "solved" the naming during the incubation (still ongoing;))

But... you should note that the code donation came from Oracle,
so no "naming issues" (on adf faces) on this side.

I am not really sure what happens when you call your incubation
project "vista" or "netweaver" for instance ... :-)

-Matthias

> Kim,
>
> I am not an Incubator PMC member, but past experience over the last
> few months shows that the name is not a barrier to entry for the
> Incubator.    For example, ADFFaces is an incubating project with a
> name trademarked by Oracle, and part of the incubating process has to
> been to change that name to Trinidad.    The name "Glasgow" may or may
> not need to be changed before graduation, but it is not going to
> prevent starting incubation.
>
> There's certainly some strong opinions being presented here, but the
> naming issues deal more with graduation issues than incubator
> acceptance issues.
>

> On 8/7/06, Kim van der Riet <kim.vdriet@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I have been somewhat surprised at the amount of debate surrounding the
> > name of the proposed Glasgow project. It seems that this project has
> > become entangled in an issue overdue for discussion within Apache.
> > Perhaps the emotive issue of using (another) proper noun has sparked a
> > much-needed debate. I have even been a little confused by the seemingly
> > contradictory posts about resolving the naming of the project prior to
> > acceptance vs. solving the issue prior to graduation.
> >
> > Being new to the process of incubation and to Apache itself, I would
> > very much appreciate some clarification of the following regarding
> > Glasgow: Do we need to change our name now or after acceptance? The
> > project undertakes to abide by any policy or naming decision and make
> > any necessary name changes. If need be, we could even open a separate
> > thread, pre- or post-incubation-acceptance, for the purpose of finding
> > an acceptable name, and invite all those who wish to do to to
> > contribute.
> >
> > Some clear guidelines would be very helpful.
> >
> > Kim van der Riet
> > Hopeful future (Glasgow) committer
> > RedHat

Matthias Wessendorf