incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project Naming (was Re: [VOTE] Accept Glasgow into Incubator)
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:47:23 GMT
Martin-

yes we solved it recently. But... the process of solving that is not
quite clear. I created an issue / task in JIRA for that.

I am only refering to the trademark issue; the rest was pretty easy,
the community voted on the name. We only ensured that no names with
*potential* trademark troubles we available in the vote. We collected
the names with a JIRA ticket :-)

-Matthias

> Also if I recall correctly, naming issues can also be solved while in the incbuator...
(like
> adffaces has)
>
> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> Danny Angus wrote:
> > Archit,
> >
> > I'm very happy to here you say so, I certainly don't want to affect
> > your progress through the incubator, in many ways I've unfairly sigled
> > you out as an example of a prectice I feel strongly about.
> >
> > Unfortunately I will be away, offline, for the next four days, but if
> > it is still relevant I will be happy to take up your kind offer and
> > put in time helping to find an acceptable, strike that, a good name.
> >
> > d.
> >
> > On 04/08/06, Archit Shah <ashah@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> The project formerly known as Blaze changed its name to Glasgow based on
> >> previous feedback and decided to follow Apache precedent (e.g. Tuscany).
> >> Apparently there are strong objections to this precendent. In our
> >> discussions, the group did come up with some ingenious names for the
> >> project, but most had legal concerns or conflicted with existing
> >> software. Glasgow was the winner mostly by process of elimination.
> >>
> >> Danny, I'm confident that none of the committers are particularly
> >> attached to the name and no one wants to see the proposal sidetracked
> >> over the name of the project. So, we welcome any help in selecting a
> >> name that does not have any software trademarks in the USPTO and isn't
> >> connected to other relevant software projects.
> >>
> >>   -- Archit

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com