incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Greg Stein" <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what wicket is (was: Re: [VOTE] Accept Wicket into the Incubator)
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:46:13 GMT
On 8/25/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> Wicket *is* different.

Excellent. Thanks a bunch for the thorough reply and comparison
points. Very helpful.

> Whether this is the right way to do things is
> debatable, but I would say now is not the right time for the incubator to start
> having those kinds of debates.

I'm not trying to start a debate, nor engaging in any debate. I
offered my opinion. The model sounds cool, but I don't happen to like
it. I am fine explaining offlist cuz it really is irrelevant here, as
you note.

> Various ASF members like working this way, are
> working this way, and are backing this proposal. Trust darwinism.

More power to 'em. I get a vote just like any other Incubator PMC
member. Please don't attempt to deny me that. Just because I didn't +1
the proposal doesn't mean you should try to coerce me into changing my
vote. Darwin also says that proposals could be voted down :-)  (but
I'm not even doing that... it's just a -0 for cryin' out loud)

To be honest, I am rather amazed at the amount of text written because
one single person votes -0 rather than +1. Seriously... wow. God
forbid somebody votes -1. What happens then? Ten times as many words
written to convince them of the error of their ways? What are we
saying to people: don't vote anything but +1 or your inbox will get
slammed? Follow the groupmind, or you shall be mailbombed? Personally,
I'd prefer an environment MUCH more accepting of alternate votes --
that means you'll actually *get* those votes, rather than people being
quiet, too afraid to counter the majority.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/