incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jini?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:33:38 GMT
I'd like to point out that Apache does have tolerance for "brand
names" coming in from the outside, in particular "J-word projects"
from Sun.

Java(TM) Data Objects a.k.a. JDO is an official Apache project [1].

JDO is not trademarked but the name is well-known in its space. The
Apache JDO project includes the official API for both JSR-12 and
JSR-243; and the official TCK for both JSRs.

Sun donated JDO to Apache for continued development, and Apache JDO
released the API and TCK according to the official JCP rules, under
the Apache license.

There is room for development of a JDO implementation as an Apache
project, but it seems more likely that other Apache projects will
provide a JDO implementation outside of the Apache JDO project. (e.g.
OpenJPA or Cayenne might well provide a JDO-compliant interface, just
as they might offer a JPA-compliant interface).

There is precedent for Apache adopting Jini as a project, regardless
of whether you are talking about "just an implementation" or "the
official Jini".

Craig

[1] http://db.apache.org/jdo