incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Glasgow naming: proposal
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 03:01:43 GMT

On Aug 7, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Kim van der Riet wrote:

> I have been somewhat surprised at the amount of debate surrounding the
> name of the proposed Glasgow project.

Same here, and I've been on this alias for over a year. Most of the
discussion earlier has been over infringement issues, not
appropriateness issues.

> It seems that this project has
> become entangled in an issue overdue for discussion within Apache.
> Perhaps the emotive issue of using (another) proper noun has sparked a
> much-needed debate.

I agree.

> I have even been a little confused by the seemingly
> contradictory posts about resolving the naming of the project prior to
> acceptance vs. solving the issue prior to graduation.

I have noticed that there is a core set of principles that everyone
agrees on, and once you go beyond those, opinions tend to diverge.

The good news is that there are no well-accepted principles for
entering the incubator with a controversial name. So from me, the
name is absolutely not an issue for entering.

Exiting the incubator requires much more consensus than entering, and
I'd expect that during incubation that the naming issues should
continue to be discussed and resolved. If someone feels strongly that
proper names are inappropriate for Apache projects (in general) or
some (specific) name is inappropriate then this will come out during
the incubation period.

> Being new to the process of incubation and to Apache itself, I would
> very much appreciate some clarification of the following regarding
> Glasgow: Do we need to change our name now or after acceptance?

 From my perspective, let's start incubation and discuss the issue
during incubation.

> The
> project undertakes to abide by any policy or naming decision and make
> any necessary name changes. If need be, we could even open a separate
> thread, pre- or post-incubation-acceptance, for the purpose of finding
> an acceptable name, and invite all those who wish to do to to
> contribute.

I'd feel comfortable discussing the naming issues on the incubator@
alias. I'd feel less comfortable with a more restricted alias e.g.
glasgow-dev@ because people with strong opinions might not even be
subscribed.

> Some clear guidelines would be very helpful.

Guidelines are an evolving process. Based on what you've seen, naming
is not a well-defined process aside from the obvious legal trademark
issues.

Craig