incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:16:04 GMT
On 15/08/06, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:

> I don't think we (the ASF) need to support the weakest link of the
> chain either. if a member
> can't access a project due to limitations of corporate policy or
> timezone, we should be OK with that too.
> not every member has to be able to participate in a project. as long
> as the project is healthy, I'm not
> sure what the problem is.

Ian this attitude disturbs me, don't make the mistake of thinking that
the ASF is big enough to  be able to afford to start excluding
valuable people and/or groups on the grounds of technology alone.
Start making it harder, or more complicated, for people to participate
and they *will* leave.

I don't see why email, as the lowest common denominator, is not
perfectly fit for the purpose.

There is no reason why people can't carry on other forms of
communication, but in order to keep the community alive we should want
to include in the debate everyone who has something to contribute.

d.