incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:30:59 GMT
Robert,

Try Apache, and Geronimo. What about Jakarta?

I think its time we just stopped this, Glasgow isn't probably too bad.
But what if you'd picked Bristol?

I'm not picking on you particularly, I just think its time we
reconsidered the re-use of proper nouns.

d.

On 04/08/06, robert.j.greig@jpmorgan.com <robert.j.greig@jpmorgan.com> wrote:
> This seems utterly ridiculous to me. "Raises certain moral questions"?
> "Goes against the wishes of the communities it affects"?
>
> Did the residents of Granada feel exploited when Ford decided to name a car
> after it? How about the Seat Ibiza?
>
> Do you boycott Penguin biscuits [a brand of biscuits in the UK] becuse you
> think it "exploits" penguins?
>
> Robert
> Resident of Glasgow

> |         |           "Danny Angus"    |
> |         |           <danny.angus@gmai|
> |         |           l.com>           |
> |         |           04/08/2006 14:42 |
> |         |           general          |
>   >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
                                            |
>   |       To:       general@incubator.apache.org
                                            |
>   |       cc:
                                            |
>   |       Subject:  Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
                                            |
>   >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> On 30/07/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any further concerns about this proposal?
>
> Cliff, yes I do.
>
> As you may have seen from previous posts I've only just been catching
> up with this.
> My concern is that it is not appropriate for the incubator to continue
> to condone a practice which at best raises certain moral questions,
> and at worst can be seen as exploitative and often goes against the
> wishes of the communities it affects. The fact that Glaswegians may
> not feel particularly exploited, or that there is a precedent for
> proper nouns to be used for project names should not matter. What
> should concern the incubator is, as Robert said, continuous
> improvement. Please would you at least think about re-considering the
> name and trying to come up with a proposal which isn't also a proper
> noun?
>
> d.

> This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer
or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements
made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries
and affiliates.

> This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged,
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information
contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission
and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect
any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase
& Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising
in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact
the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
Thank you.