incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Glasgow into Incubator
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:31:03 GMT
Hi everybody,

I don't have a binding vote here, but..

-1

I strongly object to the name, in some sense I object to this name
because it is also the name of the city in which I work, and
conversations about "Glasgow" will be a bit wierd.

But very much more importantly I would also like to publicly stand up
and say that I think it is ridiculous that time after time we
misappropriate proper nouns to name our projects with. Stop it. Stop
it now.

It is misguided to think that it can be done without making a cultural
reference, and it is naieve to think that all such references will be
appropriate or well received by those whose culture is being
misrepresented. The fact that Glasgow is not an impoverished and
exploited region of Africa or Asia doesn't make it any less
inappropriate to use it as a project name.

I think it is about time that we grew up and introduced a rule which
prevents words already used as proper nouns from being proposed as
project names unless there is some real and relevant on-topic
connection. Don't be lazy, if trademarks and IP make it difficult to
pick an apropriate name straight away don't just revert to sticking a
pin in the map, get out a thesaurus.

With the notable and highly significant exceptions of "Apache" and
"Jakarta" (both of which raise difficult questions) it seems as if it
has only really become common practice since the incubator with Derby,
Geronimo, Tuscany, & Woden to name some that I know about. You guys
have the chance to stop it by rejecting this project on the basis of
its name.

Please take this opportunity to stop the rot.

d.