incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 04:08:56 GMT
On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 12:36 -0400, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>> Brian,
>>
>> Just as in JCP, OASIS or W3C the real work happens on private
>> channels,
>> that said we are in
>> the process of creating public pages, from which to link user and
>> feedback lists for anyone to
>> read, access and interact with the working group.
>
> Correction: W3C working groups do *all* technical work in public
> mailing
> lists that are open to all.
>
> That change occurred probably 5+ years ago.

Umm, I don't think so.  As a TAG member, I encountered many discussions
that were in members-only areas, and they are still going on (XML
Schema,
for example).  The TAG would refuse to participate in any such
discussion,
which often required permissions be obtained to move comments from a
private forum to a public one.  W3C decisions are all made in public.
Maybe you are referring to working groups that have been initiated in
the past five years?

....Roy