incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JIni Proposal
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:57:46 GMT
Hi,

Is anyone opposed to the proposed Jini project being called "Apache
Jini" after the latest comments from the Jini community? They are
essentially saying that it would make most sense for the project to
maintain it's own specifications, and thus be "the" Jini
implementation even though there is nothing stopping external projects
from implementing some of the core components. I tend to agree with
them that the name issue was at least partly based on a
misunderstanding of the nature of the Jini technology and standards. I
also acknowledge and support the Jini community's strong desire to
keep the name.

Unless anyone objects to the name, I think the way forward is to
revise the proposal to meet Jim's points 1 and 2 before proceeding to
vote on accepting the project.

If "Apache Jini" is still considered inappropriate, then the next step
for us and the Jini community would be to come up with an alternative
name for the project.

BR,

Jukka Zitting