incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:22:57 GMT
Hi,

On 8/27/06, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:
> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this.
> [...]
> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
> sync to Maven's central repository.

Me neither. But why do we then need the separate incubator repository
if the artifacts get synchronized with the central repository?

As I mentioned in the thread before the Incubator Maven repository was
created, it makes more sense to enforce an "incubator" label on the
artifact versions than enforcing a specific "incubator" repository.
Especially since there is no way for us to really enforce that
repository policy.

BR,

Jukka Zitting