incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:21:31 GMT
Hi,

> I think that we should consider the Jini standard separately - we have a
> community and a codebase, and should proceed with that now.  Because it
> still is a standard we can work on that in parallel if all parties are
> willing.

+1

> I believe therefore that we have now returned to the original
> question... what should the name of the new podling be called? :)

I think "Apache Jinn" and "Apache Genie" have already been proposed.
Other alternatives could be "Apache Jafar" or "Apache Jasmine" based
on characters from the Disney film featuring the famous genie. (Though
I'm quite sure that "Jafar" and "Jasmine" are trademarked by Disney.
Is that a problem for us?) "Apache Aladdin" would also be nice, but
"Aladdin" is already heavily used.

Would the Jini community be happy with bringing the project in under a
different name? At some point it was mentioned that keeping the "Jini"
name would be the preferred choice. I'd like to advocate using a
different name also from the point of view that there is currently no
exact definition of "Jini", and starting "Apache Jini" would just add
to that confusion.

Are there any other open issues regarding the proposal?

BR,

Jukka Zitting