incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:17:17 GMT
Hi,

On 8/15/06, Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheifler@sun.com> wrote:
> It's important to note that the JDP is not a process for
> *developing* standards, but for *approving* them.  The JDP is
> a backend decision process, not a frontend development process.
> Most of the specifications that have been approved under the JDP
> were in fact developed within the same project that did the
> initial (and in many cases, still the only) implementation.

I believe that this is actually a major structural cause for not
having other implementations of the standard. Thus, and as pointed out
by other people as well, if the goal of the Jini community really is
to have independent implementations, the Jini standards should be
managed by a separate body.

BR,

Jukka Zitting