incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:42:12 GMT
Hi,

> We have a tradition, for good reason, for not giving our projects
> "technology domain" ownership for implementations.  I'd never support
> "Apache EMail" or "Apache Web".  That's why if we are going to have
> "Apache Jini", it shouldn't be implementation focused.

I see your point, agreed.

However, I'm still confused at the need to bring in a separate spec
project. The Jini proposal states the scope of the project to be the
"implementation" of the specification, and that scope is still valid
regardless of what happens with the Jini standard. And I very much
agree with the idea of choosing a different name for the
implementation project.

If it happens that no other home is found for the standard and the
Jini community wants to continue the work of the JDP within the ASF,
then a separate spec project sounds like a good approach. But at least
to me it seems that the need for a  separate spec project comes more
from within the ASF than from the Jini community. In short I think we
are prematurely rushing things.

BR,

Jukka Zitting