incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Granqvist, Hans" <hgranqv...@verisign.com>
Subject RE: Specifications as (part of) ASF projects (was RE: Too many licenses? Was: [vote] Accept Glasgow)
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:56:17 GMT
> I would be in favor of such an approach.  Honestly, I would
> vastly prefer to have Open Specifications managed under ASF
> processes than under the JCP, OASIS, etc.

Yea, I think it could be a good idea.

Just a few thoughts on the process:  How do you envision editorship
of the spec?  Would all committers be editors?

I would propose a different set of 'spec committers' for two main
reasons.

1. Specifications are different:  Code can be modularized (and
   hidden by APIs) to a higher degree, so coders can work on
   independent sections.  This view doesn't work well for
   specifications where you need a fuller view.

2. The skills needed to write a good spec are not necessarily
   those needed to write good code, e.g., linguistic clarity.

Hans