incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: JIni Proposal
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:15:42 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 03:18, Jim Hurley wrote:
>> We, therefore, are open to discussing a name change to something
>> else within the Jini Community.
>>
>> If there's agreement on the positions stated in 1 and 2 above,
>> we'll assume there's general support for our Proposal to Apache
>> and begin the name discussion in the Jini Community.
>
> Isn't it a bit odd to keep net.jini (which I think is essential for
> compatibility reasons), and not have Jini in the name of the responsible body
> of those??

It might seem odd Niclas, but I have the impression that we (the group
of initial committers) felt that dropping the name Jini for a TLP was
required as 'concession' to proceed with the Proposal.

The response so far on Jim's 'patches' is minimal leaving us a bit in
the dark I guess. I can't say I sense a form of consensus here,
especially with regard to #1 and #2, so that we can resolve #3 and seek
for the Sponsor to proceed (if my understanding of the process is correct).

So far we have seen concerns raised with regard to Jini as project name,
and there were not that many ASF people that indicated this was no
problem as reaction to that. I believe there is some misunderstanding
about the Jini technology here at incubator and how one should perceive
our key characteristics. I can completely understand that as we've done
things differently for a very long time (since 1999), those relative new
in our community also often have problems grasping it completely.

I believe Jim's 'patches' represent what is still acceptable by the Jini
Community as we have discussed in the past and recently. We can't bend
our technical foundation in a way that would be considered more
mainstream, but we try to adapt in a way that meets the (as Jukka
pointed out) "social or perceptional" characteristics of the ASF
(assuming there is a single one).

And, with my Jini Community Member hat on, it would be really nice if we
have an indication of light at the end of the tunnel. The license change
to ALv2 for the Jini Technology was one that took very long and with a
huge impact for us all, this step will likely bring even more
uncertainty. We have some 'turmoil' behind us. It would be nice if the
Jini Community for which the ASF project is intended to be the "water
cooler" can focus on the technical and social challenges ahead instead
of waiting for what will be next.

BTW it hasn't been mentioned yet but September 13, 14 we have our tenth
*free* Jini Community Meeting in Brussels, see
http://www.jini.org/wiki/Category:10th_Jini_Community_Meeting for more
details. It is a great opportunity to learn more about the Jini
Technology and our greater Community. And it would be really a joy if we
could report about where the "water cooler" ends up ;-)
--
Mark