incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:41:46 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/15/06, Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheifler@sun.com> wrote:
>> It's important to note that the JDP is not a process for
>> *developing* standards, but for *approving* them.  The JDP is
>> a backend decision process, not a frontend development process.
>> Most of the specifications that have been approved under the JDP
>> were in fact developed within the same project that did the
>> initial (and in many cases, still the only) implementation.
>
> I believe that this is actually a major structural cause for not
> having other implementations of the standard. Thus, and as pointed out
> by other people as well, if the goal of the Jini community really is
> to have independent implementations, the Jini standards should be
> managed by a separate body.

I don't think it's correct to assume that JDP/existing processes are a
structural cause for not having other implementations.

We have multiple implementations of JavaSpaces - mine, which is
opensource (blitz javaspaces) and a commercial (gigaspaces).

There is an opensource Lookup Service in development, called Perrin,
that I am aware of.  Psinaptic have a commercial Lookup Service designed
for use with embedded devices.

There is also another Transaction Manager available to replace Mahalo,
called Cohesions from Paremus/Choreology.

Speaking as the author of Blitz, the reasons I haven't bothered
re-implementing the other specs are:

(1)  I have no particular personal technical interest in them right now

(2)  They're more often that not good enough (though I've been tempted
to re-implement Mahalo myself)

(3)  I think there's more useful work to be done in developing
additional frameworks, specs and services to sit on top of what we
already have.

(4)  Those that are using the available implementations are by and large
happy with them judging by a lack of complaints and I am therefore
putting my energy into wider adoption as well as the stuff I identified
in (3).

At no point have I, and it seems others, been put off by the JDP - in
fact, most of us have, in one way or another, been involved in the
development of existing specs as part of the current Jini community.

Best wishes,

Dan.