incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheif...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:56:54 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> What is your concern?  Can you please try to be simple and specific about
> it?

I'll try again.  It seems we're discussing three different things:
1. development of code
2. development of specs
3. running a standards process

My concern is about #3, and not trying to do it in an ASF project.
My reason is simple: there aren't people willing to do it.
I'm guessing that others in this discussion have been focused on #2,
and/or are tying #2 and #3 tightly together.  Perhaps differences in
what we each mean by "specification" is causing mutual confusion?
Would it help if I reworded #2 to be development of APIs?

> For example, what if we created jini-spec@i.a.o and jinn-dev@i.a.o?  Forget
> the question of "how many podlings" --- I am simply talking about a list
> related to specification work, and a list related to implementation.

Are you making a suggestion about #2, #3, or both? Is my concern about
#3 clear?

- Bob