incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:30:40 GMT

Bob Scheifler wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> We have a tradition, for good reason, for not giving our projects
>> "technology domain" ownership for implementations.  I'd never support
>> "Apache EMail" or "Apache Web".
>
> Is it written somewhere that ASF project names must mean "ownership of"
> rather than merely "category of"?

I could go add that to the website if that would help.  We're not a
legalistic community where exploiting loopholes or lack of written law
is encouraged...

Let me try to illustrate it this way - would you be interested in
bringing what you have to the ASF if there already was a project called
"Apache Jini"?

geir