incubator-general mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject [Vote] Re: Abdera 0.1.0 Release Candidate
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:25:56 GMT
Ok, so we've addressed most of the issues raised in the note below and
believe we are ready to move forward with 0.1.0.  The new zips are
available at http://people.apache.org/~jmsnell

At your convenience, we'd appreciate it if y'all could review and weigh
in on the release. Thanks!

robert burrell donkin wrote:
> [snip]
> there's a lot of documentation that hasn't been written up yet do i'll
> certainly do that :-)

Additional documentation will be coming.  Right now there are docs that
demonstrate the basic usage of the API which covers the primary goal for
0.1.0

>> but from what I understand, the next step is
>> to ask y'all to review and approve the release candidate.
>
> i note that you haven't included sample MD5 sums and signatures.
> that's fine if you're confident.

md5 sums have been provided.

> a few notes on best practice for future reference:
> * the binary and source distributions should unpack to directories
> with different names. this makes things more convenient for people who
> download both source and binary versions. also makes it more obvious
> when the source is downloaded. conventionally the source would unpack
> to abdera-x.y.z-incubator-src.

Done

> * list supported build tool versions (ant and maven) in the build
> README (doesn't work with installation of maven 1.0.2)

Done

> * the MANIFEST files should comply with the various java standards on
> this matter. these are really a long way away so i can't list just a
> few corrections. creating complient releases should be included in the
> release management guide very soon but for now see
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html#checkjarmanifest

Hopefully they're better now.

> important notes
> * there are no license or notice files in the jars distributed in the
> binary. though this is not necessarily a blocking issue, these
> artifacts cannot be distributed as raw jars without them. therefore
> these jars cannot be distributed through maven. if you want to do
> this, you must include LICENSE and NOTICE files in the jars.

Fixed.

> blocking issues
> * copyright headers missing from too many source files (pom.xmls,
> build.xmls, numerous xml and xslt files, docs/*.html). not all of
> these files will be substantial enough for copyright to exist in them
> but IMHO there are so many that this should be addressed before
> releasing.

Fixed.

- James