incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheif...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:17:09 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> However, we do have a chance here to host the governance and spec
> process for JINI.
>
> Therefore, I'd like to propose that we create two podlings, one for JINI
> governance, and one for building the implementation and community around
> the working code that has been proposed.

I'm extremely reluctant to start out with two podlings.
I'm not sure what "governance" you have in mind beyond the spec process,
but I don't believe we have sufficient commitments from people to keep
an equivalent of the existing Jini community standards process going
forward.  I think our best shot at success is a single podling, which
maintains both specs and code under a single development process.
(And as such, the specs would no longer be "standards".)

- Bob