incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:05:15 GMT
As the champion for JINI, I suppose it behooves me to try and get this
untangled.

I'm not a Jini expert, but my understanding is that it is it's own spec
ecosystem.  Therefore, I'm against having one project doing software
implementation that is called "Jini",  just as I'd be against projects
like "Apache JCP", "Apache W3C", "Apache OASIS", "Apache ECMA" etc.

However, we do have a chance here to host the governance and spec
process for JINI.

Therefore, I'd like to propose that we create two podlings, one for JINI
governance, and one for building the implementation and community around
the working code that has been proposed.

Comments?

geir