incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Wicket again (was Re: incubation process for open development open source projects)
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:55:34 GMT
Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> personally i am fine with "incubation takes as long as it takes" statement.
> it is your organization and it is up to you whether or not you want to let
> the project into the incubator and into graduation. i also understand the
> "need to observe open development style on apache ground" argument.

Good.

On the subject of 'as long as it takes' - there's nothing to stop us
planning, scheduling and setting up goals - there are a clear list of
criteria we would need to meet and we can 'manage' those. We may well
find that, having covered those criteria, we've done it.

There just remains, and always will remain, the possibility of new
issues arising - ones that haven't yet arisen for other projects and
thus haven't yet made it into the guidelines - but that need to be dealt
with before graduation. I don't forsee any with Wicket, but then, if I
did, I'd be adding them to the guidelines :-)

> what i
> do not understand are a few points regarding incubation of existing
> projects
> with established user bases, such as the release policy and the brand abuse
> concerns which to me seem to go hand in hand. the concern i have with
> bringing wicket over into the incubator is the feeling of the project
> stagnating. we cant do any releases unless they are done through the
> incubator and we cannot release a final release until we graduate.

I suspect something needs clarifying here (Noel refered to this in an
earlier mail) - you can do releases in the incubator, and you can call
them whatever you like - 2.0alpha, 2.0beta, 2.0final. The only
requirements are (a) that they are labelled 'incubating', and that the
legal requirements for releases are met (which you're probably okay with
already).

So, you certainly can do the releases you plan - they'd just need to be
labelled 'incubating'.

> we are
> only a few months away from releasing versions that our users are waiting
> for so the incubation process, as it stands right now, would seriously hurt
> us. furthermore the general consensus that incubation takes between six
> months to a year also does not work for existing projects who release more
> often then that. you are basically expecting the project to halt until
> graduation. the development might continue but you cannot release any final
> releases which makes users itchy.

Does my above explanation relieve some of these concerns? No-one is
saying you can't release - in fact, releasing code is one way in which
you will demonstrate your appreciation of the way Apache works.

> also releases marked -incubating raise
> concerns and give the impression the code is not production ready, yes we
> know its not true because we are "educated" in the apache jargon - but many
> users are not nor do they have the desire.

I don't think it is quite as straight-forward as that. Some users (those
more committed to Wicket) will listen to what is being said. Some will
worry. Others will love it. Some people's bosses may start considering
Wicket where they wouldn't have done so before.

So, you might find your demographics change a little, but I see no
reason why incubation, in this regard, should harm Wicket.

> so my proposal to improve the incubator situation is to do this:
>
> let the project into the incubator and let them release at their current
> infrastructure outside of apache. that way the incubation period doesnt
> hurt the project and can take as long as you guys want. the releases will of
> course not contain any apache branding. once the project graduates the
> branding (such as package names) can be applied to the first release
> available through apache itself.

That way you route around the benefit of demonstrating your
understanding of releasing code within Apache, which would slow down
incubation. Hopefully my explanation above alleviates the concerns you
were trying to address here.

> another concern i have is about not letting the user lists onto the
> incubator, this is once again a problem for existing projects, especially
> for frameworks where users are in fact developers themselves. we tweak
> wicket's api a lot based on the users feedback so not having that resource
> available will hurt us. also a lot of issues that start out on the user
> list turn into development issues like bugs, improvements, etc. the user list is
> an invaluable resource for us and probably for other projects as well.

Looking down the list of projects: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
most of them seem to have users lists. So bringing the user list along
wouldn't, to my mind, be a problem. The suggestion of leaving the user
list at SF was, to my mind, just one attempt to find an approach for
Wicket - by no means a requirement of the Incubator.

> the incubator process as it stands right now works perfectly well for new
> projects that come to the incubator without a community or code, but it
> just doesnt work for projects that are being "adapted" rather then "incubated"

I think we can find that it does and can work for existing projects -
just perhaps need to clarify exactly how to describe it.

> this is my long winded two cents :)

Hope my explanations above help.

Regards, Upayavira