incubator-general mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Too many licenses? Was: [vote] Accept Glasgow
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:02:50 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Last and final objection, I want to make sure I am not missing something...
> the contract between the spec participants is or is not public?  If public,
> was there a link I missed?  If so, can it be added to the proposal for
> completeness sake?
>
> Bill

William, to this last point that has not been covered in a previous posting

I have to say partially public.

Short explanation, about two weeks ago a similar question was asked and
based on
what was asked, I had requested from the working group to be able to publish
the "joint objectives" and the license that the working group will
provide to the standards
body once selected and submitted to. This has been added to the wiki.
The 'Joint Objectives'
is copied below.

The agreement is a non-NDA document, and the working group provides it
to anyone
who requests it that said I would prefer to discuss any publication of
the agreement on open
web sites or mailing lists with the working group prior to doing so. As
this group is
is new, it is still working out many policies internally. Out of respect
for those members
of the group who are out on summer vacations it seems best to wait for
the majority of the
other members to have returned before I make such a request.

I think it is good to clarify that I have two hats, one as a proposer of
project to incubator
and one as a part of the spec working group, and the hat I have to wear
for this issue
is as a representative of the working group and not as a committer on
this proposal

Regards
Carl.

Joint Objectives (from AMQP Participant agreement)

A. Members wish to work together to collectively create a Specification
for an open and interoperable messaging protocol, to enable the
development and industry-wide use and for widespread deployment.
B. The goal is to have the protocol generally used for messaging,
capable of servicing the industries' most complex and demanding
environments. However, it is intended to be simple to use and relatively
easy to implement.
C. It is not the first objective of this group to drive the creation of
middleware APIs complimentary to the AMQ Protocol even though an API
might be specified along with protocol for the express purpose to
understand and test the protocol itself. This is important as the
protocol will be general purpose and usable from any language, and any
platform without prejudice and bindings for many languages and platforms
will need to exist once the protocol is specified.
D. Members are encouraged to provide open (OSI) licensed implementations
of the AMQP Specification. Prototype implementations of Draft revisions
of the AMQP Specification may also be produced by a member for
demonstration, proof-of-concept, or market development purposes provided
prior approval to such a prototype implementation has been given. The
aim being that the unity and cohesion of the AMQP Specification is not
weakened by forking or manipulation of the market by early release of
non-conformant implementations.
E. The group will promote the use of the protocol and conformance with
the published AMQP Specification.
F. The protocol will not specify payload formats, but rather concentrate
on interoperability of the messaging "envelope" and all the related
components including but not limited to areas such as
security,transactions, persistence, synchrony, bridging, tunneling,
queuing semantics, reliable multicast and distribution optimizations to
name a few.