incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <gordon....@virgin.net>
Subject Re: Minimum footprint question about Glasgow
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:01:43 GMT
Good question, though one I do not have as yet an answer for. However,
the classes used purely for the encoding/decoding in java are currently
about 150K unoptimised. They do also rely on Mina at present which is
278K. There would be a small amount on top of this most to tie this all
into a minimal api (the current jms adaptor layer is 136K on top of this
as a rough guide, excluding some of the external dependencies like log4j
& apache commons, none of which are currently critical). To this point,
no attempt has been made to specifically keep the size of the
implementation below a particular threshold and further optimisation
could probably bring these numbers down (a less generic io framework
than mina for example could be used and by being more limited in scope
would bring the size down quite a bit I expect).

At runtime, the protocol allows negotiation of the maximum framesize per
connection, the minimum acceptable value being 4096 bytes. So a client
could operate within a restricted memory environment if required. (Again
though, the current java client has not been developed with this goal in
mind).

I hope that helps a little bit, though its rather imprecise(?)