incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject horses and carts; was: Accept Glasgow into Incubator
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:26:22 GMT
Mads, I'm not sure if you meant to vote, but it raises a dialog so I'm
forking the subject.

Mads Toftum wrote:
> I very much agree with Garretts concerns - and would be much in favor of
> not bringing the project into incubation before they have proven an
> actual community and that they can work the standard the "apache way".

Which is the cart and which is the horse?  Code like stdcxx, derby, etc
don't come from "apache way" communities.  Working in an OSS community
is a learned skill.  These projects come to us with good code, and they
come asking to learn how to operate as a community, rather than the
traditional commercial development models.

And what's the role of the incubator if not to teach those skills?

Bill