incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Glasgow into Incubator
Date Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:02:08 GMT

On Aug 4, 2006, at 08:31, Danny Angus wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I don't have a binding vote here, but..
>
> -1
>
> I strongly object to the name, in some sense I object to this name
> because it is also the name of the city in which I work, and
> conversations about "Glasgow" will be a bit wierd.
>
> But very much more importantly I would also like to publicly stand up
> and say that I think it is ridiculous that time after time we
> misappropriate proper nouns to name our projects with. Stop it. Stop
> it now.
>
> It is misguided to think that it can be done without making a cultural
> reference, and it is naieve to think that all such references will be
> appropriate or well received by those whose culture is being
> misrepresented. The fact that Glasgow is not an impoverished and
> exploited region of Africa or Asia doesn't make it any less
> inappropriate to use it as a project name.
>
> I think it is about time that we grew up and introduced a rule which
> prevents words already used as proper nouns from being proposed as
> project names unless there is some real and relevant on-topic
> connection. Don't be lazy, if trademarks and IP make it difficult to
> pick an apropriate name straight away don't just revert to sticking a
> pin in the map, get out a thesaurus.
>
> With the notable and highly significant exceptions of "Apache" and
> "Jakarta" (both of which raise difficult questions) it seems as if it
> has only really become common practice since the incubator with Derby,
> Geronimo, Tuscany, & Woden to name some that I know about. You guys
> have the chance to stop it by rejecting this project on the basis of
> its name.

Danny has stated something here that I have also begun to feel rather
strongly about. Consider, for a moment, how it would feel if we
called a project Canada, or perhaps Russia. Yet we have Trinidad and
Tobago. Someone on IRC mentioned that they hear of Jakarta in two
contexts - one, the Apache project, and the other, when something
unpleasant is happening in that part of the world.

While I wouldn't necessarily vote to reject the proposal solely on
this one point (although I do agree with all of the points so
eloquently stated by Garrett - but I'm not a member of the Incubator
PMC) I would strongly request that the changing of the name be a
prerequisite for graduation, if this proposal is indeed accepted.

--
http://feathercast.org/