incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Fluoride
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:01:49 GMT

Fluoride, a Feed Server Proposal
0. Rationale
a RSS/Atom feed by default is hard to track. The aim of this proposal
is to create a server which can track statistics on who is reading
your feeds, and what they are reading.

0.1 Criteria
Apache was chosen for an incubator for the guidance the community can

None yet.. this is just an idea

Core Developers:
Ian Holsman. ASF Member

The initial code is planed to be implemented in C and python, but I
am inpartial. I'm OK with java as well.

0.2 Warning signs
Orphaned products:

Inexperience with open source:
Ian is a ASF member

Homogenous developers:
Only one developer. I am hoping for others to be interested and join in

Reliance on salaried developers:

No ties to other Apache products:
It is planned to use mod_python & Apache Httpd as a platform.

A fascination with the Apache brand:
we are fascinated by it. It's shiny. Seriously I chose apache as I
thought others may be interested

1. Scope of the subprojects
The initial scope of the project will be the development of a
functionally-complete implementation of a server capable of handling
between 10-1000 unique feeds with each feed having multiple subscribers.

2. Initial source

2.1 External Dependencies of the project
The current implemenation depends on the following components:

It is envisioned that the project would require Django for it's
maintenance screens, and use Apache's Httpd and mod_python.

3. Identify the ASF resources to be created
3.1 mailing list(s)
fluoride-ppmc (moderated subscriptions)
3.2 Subversion repository
View raw message