incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Fluoride
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:01:49 GMT

Fluoride, a Feed Server Proposal
0. Rationale
a RSS/Atom feed by default is hard to track. The aim of this proposal
is to create a server which can track statistics on who is reading
your feeds, and what they are reading.

0.1 Criteria
Meritocracy:
Apache was chosen for an incubator for the guidance the community can
provide.

Community:
None yet.. this is just an idea

Core Developers:
Ian Holsman. ASF Member

Alignment:
The initial code is planed to be implemented in C and python, but I
am inpartial. I'm OK with java as well.

0.2 Warning signs
Orphaned products:
N/A

Inexperience with open source:
Ian is a ASF member

Homogenous developers:
Only one developer. I am hoping for others to be interested and join in

Reliance on salaried developers:
No.

No ties to other Apache products:
It is planned to use mod_python & Apache Httpd as a platform.

A fascination with the Apache brand:
we are fascinated by it. It's shiny. Seriously I chose apache as I
thought others may be interested

1. Scope of the subprojects
The initial scope of the project will be the development of a
functionally-complete implementation of a server capable of handling
between 10-1000 unique feeds with each feed having multiple subscribers.

2. Initial source
None.

2.1 External Dependencies of the project
The current implemenation depends on the following components:

It is envisioned that the project would require Django for it's
maintenance screens, and use Apache's Httpd and mod_python.

3. Identify the ASF resources to be created
3.1 mailing list(s)
fluoride-ppmc (moderated subscriptions)
fluoride-dev
fluoride-commits