incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:53:19 GMT
I am finding it somewhat unsettling that there is an increase
in the amount of off-list "development" being done (via IRC)
as well as a decreased awareness of WHY Email is the preferred
method.

Too many times I see things like "Oh, we discuss things on
IRC and then bring it back to the list" as if the list was
simply a "dropping ground" for ideas, instead of the place
where they are discussed.

One also needs to recall that community building can be
done *after the fact*, that is, not in real-time. The
community learns about each other in a shared, non-exclusionary
method. Private Email/IM/IRC does NOT foster that.