incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 03:12:07 GMT

On Aug 13, 2006, at 7:05 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> As the champion for JINI, I suppose it behooves me to try and get this
> untangled.
>
> I'm not a Jini expert, but my understanding is that it is it's own
> spec
> ecosystem.  Therefore, I'm against having one project doing software
> implementation that is called "Jini",  just as I'd be against projects
> like "Apache JCP", "Apache W3C", "Apache OASIS", "Apache ECMA" etc.

As I understand it, Jini is not equivalent to JCP or any of the other
orgs you name here. It's an org with a tighter focus.

That said, it appears that it is the intent of the Jini community to
have multiple implementations of the spec. [1]

> However, we do have a chance here to host the governance and spec
> process for JINI.

And I'd say that this purpose is very much in line with what we did
with JDO. The project has both the spec and tck but not an
implementation.

> Therefore, I'd like to propose that we create two podlings, one for
> JINI
> governance, and one for building the implementation and community
> around
> the working code that has been proposed.

And if the "spec podling" focused on the spec and compliance test
aspects (the org.jini stuff), and the "impl podling" focused on the
implementation aspects (the com.sun.jini stuff), I think it would be
a lot cleaner.

It would appear then that the "Apache Jini" podling would be the
former, and the "to be named" podling the latter. Fortunately, the
incubator should be warmed up for a naming discussion.

Craig

[1] http://www.jini.org/wiki/Category:Introduction_to_Jini