incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Igor Vaynberg" <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wicket again (was Re: incubation process for open development open source projects)
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:28:50 GMT
On 8/10/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
snip

bootstrapping a user list is discouraged. any users coming through the
> apache site should be directed to the developer list during the
> transitionary period whilst the incubator project is being
> bootstrapped. (this does take some time.)
>
> if an incubator project votes for a user list, once one is set up of
> course users should be encouraged to join it.

the problem is that our current infrastructure (sf.net) is pretty
unreliable. we have mailing list outages that sometimes last longer then a
week. before we were offered to join apache we were thinking about moving
anyways. so i think in our situation it would be easier to move completely
off asap.

snip

from a pragmatic perspective, if your users really need a regular
> release then IMHO it would be better to issue an offshore wicket
> release in the way you do now and then work on apache incubator
> compliant release based on the same code. (there should be no code
> changes required, just packaging and licensing related ones.) you'd
> need to be careful to remove references to apache from the offshore
> release.

this sounds perfect, and is what i pretty much suggested. i was under the
impression that this is "frowned" upon by the apache folks and might make
the incubation process longer.

-Igor