incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Igor Vaynberg" <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wicket again (was Re: incubation process for open development open source projects)
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:19:11 GMT
pardon me for being so ignorant, but all i know of apache is what i read
online and what i have observed from this list.

it seems to me that there are a few recurring concerns about these items,
even in the short period that i have been subscribed.

the incubation, the releases, and the user lists - and the general feeling
toward projects that are in the incubator.

here are a few snippets that cast a lot of doubt on where things actually
stand:

> Jeremy Hughes wrote:
> Then, in its README Axis2 should make very clear which function relies
> on Woden and that this function isn't production ready because it is
> reliant on an incubator podling.

statements like these are always answered by stating that incubation does
not reflect on code quality or whether or not a project is production ready
- but the general negative sentiment is clearly there even if not true in
the eyes of apache folks. and it comes up often.

here is another example.

> Noel J. Bergman
> Most users should not be using Incubator code.  Only those who are
committed
> and willing to trust that the project will do well here and eventually
> become an ASF project.

> Remember that most people don't believe that Incubator projects should
even
> have a user@ list, only a dev@ list.

where does this leave us?

so i guess what i would like to confirm is the following:

a) we will have a user list in the incubator and our users will not be
discouraged from joining it
b) if we have a final release ready even though we were in the incubator for
a short time ( lets say a month ) it will not be blocked just because of its
timeframe.

thanks,
-Igor