incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [doc] are board resolutions ok for http://incubator.apache.org/official/...?
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:52:15 GMT
(moved from general@incubator since I imagine some people want to say
something who don't read that)

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 11:39:52AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 8/28/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >i have one or two board resolutions that it would be a good idea to
> >bring to the attention of new podlings. since it's board policy, i
> >think it'd be better to link to html documents containing the actual
> >content rather a second hand account.
> >
> >can anyone think of any reason why board resolutions should be private...?
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
>
> (They should generally be treated as private until the minutes are
> approved and posted there.)

Huh? Why? What kind of data is in there that needs to be private?

You mean wait 9 months for a TLP to start operating? Or wait implementing new
legal policies for about 6 months are they're ratifieid?

If, after a board meeting, there was some kind of (short or long) notification
that a particular resolution was made/tabled/rejected, I think you could trust
the board@ people to be reasonable and appropriate about disclosing that
information, sometimes including the full text of the resolution.

That's certainly how I've seen things happen over the last few years (even if
the result of board meetings is not always reported informally, when it is, that
usually prompts near-immediate action). For example, I think loads of TLPs list
their "Creation resolution", and I think most of them did that before it was in
the official minutes. Similarly, I'll bet we had the ASLv1.1 -> ALv2 conversion
well underway before it appeared in the minutes.

LSD