incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:28:45 GMT

On Aug 27, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/27/06, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:
>> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
>> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this.
>> [...]
>> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
>> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
>> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
>> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
>> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
>> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
>> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
>> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
>> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
>> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
>> sync to Maven's central repository.
>
> Me neither. But why do we then need the separate incubator repository
> if the artifacts get synchronized with the central repository?
>
> As I mentioned in the thread before the Incubator Maven repository was
> created, it makes more sense to enforce an "incubator" label on the
> artifact versions than enforcing a specific "incubator" repository.
> Especially since there is no way for us to really enforce that
> repository policy.

I agree. I understand that we want users who choose to use an
incubating project's artifacts to declaratively state that. If the
artifact's name contains "incubating" then it's pretty clear.

The only thing that muddles things for me is when using an m2
repository that contains a non-incubating project with a dependency
on an incubating project. Then, a project that depends on the project
that is itself not in the incubator might not even know that it's
using an incubating project.

Can this happen? Is it likely? Is there any policy that we can put
into place to avoid that projects with dependencies on projects with
incubating projects accidentally have this dependency?

Perhaps Maven can help by not allowing the transitive dependency on
incubating projects? Just thinking out loud...

Craig