incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Specifications as (part of) ASF projects (was RE: Too many licenses? Was: [vote] Accept Glasgow)
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:57:58 GMT
Idiotic question from complete Apache newbie: is the proposal that
Apache should start hosting specs but would still host projects
implementing foreign specs, or that Apache should stop hosting projects
implementing non-Apache specs?

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 08:34 +0100, James Strachan wrote:
> On 8/13/06, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Carl Trieloff wrote:
> >
> > > -> Is Apache in the business of writing and publishing specifications? <-
> >
> > > As long as Apache is not in the business of also creating
> > > specifications, there will be by definition some separation
> > > between code and spec processes, and I would like to work
> > > with the ASF to try improve this.
> >
> > Wait ... why can't a specification be a releasable, just like a codebase?  The only
issue, as I see it, would be enforcement of compliance.  And Roy even put forward a proposed
license amendment for such things.

> > As you saying that if the ASF would host the specification, that you and the rest
of the AMQP IP holders would be willing to contribute and manage the specification here under
ASF practices?

> > I would be in favor of such an approach.  Honestly, I would vastly prefer to have
Open Specifications managed under ASF processes than under the JCP, OASIS, etc.