incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Specifications as (part of) ASF projects (was RE: Too many licenses? Was: [vote] Accept Glasgow)
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 03:17:38 GMT

On Aug 14, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Granqvist, Hans wrote:

>> I would be in favor of such an approach.  Honestly, I would
>> vastly prefer to have Open Specifications managed under ASF
>> processes than under the JCP, OASIS, etc.
> Yea, I think it could be a good idea.

I agree.
> Just a few thoughts on the process:  How do you envision editorship
> of the spec?  Would all committers be editors?

In successful spec writing projects that I've been involved in, there
has been an editor for the entire specification or an editor per
major area, for the reasons given below.
> I would propose a different set of 'spec committers' for two main
> reasons.
> 1. Specifications are different:  Code can be modularized (and
>    hidden by APIs) to a higher degree, so coders can work on
>    independent sections.  This view doesn't work well for
>    specifications where you need a fuller view.
> 2. The skills needed to write a good spec are not necessarily
>    those needed to write good code, e.g., linguistic clarity.

Ah, I wish that the javadoc for all code were written by people who
knew how to write good spec. But often the javadoc can be copied from
the spec (some editing may be needed).

So it might be appropriate for some people in the project who are
better suited for spec writing to volunteer for the task. And since
Apache is a DO-ocracy there are not usually lots of people who will
compete to write spec. So there might not be an issue, aside from
actually finding people who don't mind writing spec in the fish bowl
of open source. (I personally find it both challenging and rewarding,
but unfortunately I cannot volunteer for the Jini spec writing task).