incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:33:48 GMT
On 15 Aug 06, at 12:27 PM 15 Aug 06, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>
>
> Jan Blok wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What could be the problem of any real-time communication medium usage
>> between some community members as long as every one agrees code and
>> design decisions are made on the mailing list?
>
> Because the reality is that decisions are made on IRC, implicitly.   
> It's
> hard to engage in an argument that already happened, especially  
> when the
> discussion was very conversational rather than formal :
>
> A: what do you think?
> B: Well, like you said before...
> A : about the contstructor
> B : no, the other thing
> A : related to using =?
> B : right that it..  it would be better if that was done as Jim
> suggested....
>
> versus the more formal statements people make in email
>
> "I'm beginning to agree that ensuring that re-serializing the  
> Properties
> preserves the original delimiter ("=" in Jim's example) that was  
> used in
> the original file."
>

That's a sweeping generalization which in many cases is not true.

Email can be just as unclear and people going "Sorry, I don't  
understand what you just said" happens often. In IRC where you can  
iterate to the point of understanding and pastebin examples to get  
your point across works very well.

I don't think the argument can be made that one form of communication  
has a better rate of conveyance. I would say IRC does, you would say  
email does. I think the argument here is one of persons/groups being  
excluded or not which is matter of project members' attitudes about  
inclusion.

Jason.

> geir
>
>
>>
>> Regards Jan Blok
>>
>>
>>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> I think one way of looking at this is simply remembering that
>>> the ASF values community over code. Yes, IRC and other
>>> real-time communication methods means "quicker" code
>>> development, etc, but it places, IMO, an undue barrier
>>> to the development of the community.
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------- 
>>> -
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>
>

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message