incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:49:09 GMT

On 30 Aug 06, at 1:48 PM 30 Aug 06, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 8/30/06, Dan Diephouse <dan@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
>> policy, so I see those as in conflict right now. So I want to know on
>> what grounds the incubator can prevent me from requesting that some
>> incubating jars from being uploaded to ibiblio.
>
> Common decency?  If we (as the project owners) ask those artifacts not
> to be posted, then they shouldn't be posted as a matter of courtesy.

It just means that we have to start watching for requests coming from
users to put artifacts in the repository. Effectively you are asking
us to deny the terms of redistribution stated in our license are you
not?

We could watch for requests going into Ibiblio, but we can't prevent
someone else from putting in a repository that they might use.

What is going to happen is that people are going to want to use these
artifacts and they will want to rsync Ibiblio, which many people do,
and then attempt to rsync  the incubator repository. We are just
going to try and circumvent a path that we cannot fully block off.

I don't see what is not clear with *every* incubator artifact being
marked with a version that has "incubator" in it. Plus the reports
that can be generated give a clear view to users what they are
consuming.

I read this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=115440663222532&w=2

and to be frank (4) is somewhat paradoxical to me. You want an
incubator project to thrive, and grow while we are tacitly, yet
actively, discouraging their use? I think we should let people use
their common sense to protect themselves.

What is being envisioned here as the worst case scenario of using an
incubator artifact for a failed incubator project? The mail says
protect the user, but from what?

I'm not going to discourage the use of a project I'm mentoring and
fully support. I'm going to get everyone on the planet I can to use
it as fast and as widely as possible.

> -- justin

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org