incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven 2 repo for incubating project releases?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:38:25 GMT
On 7/27/06, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/27/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/27/06, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I understand the current rules of the incubator forbid the use of the
> > > apache mirrors for incubating projects.
> >
> > Why do you think so? If, as you say, the artifact Id explicitly
> > contains the term "incubator", then I would think that that is
> > absolutely sufficient for letting people know that they are using
> > incubating software.
>
> I seem to remember the Incubator policy used to say something to the
> effect that incubatoring projects were not Apache projects yet so
> couldn't use the Apache mirror system.

+1

> I tried to find that in the
> current policy document but got the tantalising line...
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
>
> "The Podling is not yet an Apache project, and it should thus always
> refer to the Incubator Project Resource usage Guidelines, that are as
> follows"
>
> and it then doesn't say anything about releases :)
>
> Anyone know where the "Incubator Project Resource usage Guidelines"
> are?

i suspect that they were never actually written :-/

i've been trying to tidy up the document but there's still a lot of
work to do. there's still a lof of cruft.

the general infrastructure practice is that unofficial distributions
should not be mirrored and that only full official releases should be
mirrored by default. the incubator does not allow full official
releases so the default should be a non-mirrored repository.

> FWIW there are usually incubating notices inside the jars too along
> with in the README.

+1

- robert