incubator-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven 2 repo for incubating project releases?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:21:48 GMT
On 7/27/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:14:11AM +0100, James Strachan wrote:
> > I understand the current rules of the incubator forbid the use of the
> > apache mirrors for incubating projects.
>
> I didn't know of that rule. Can't find it on the web anywhere, at least.
>
> If it is a rule, then there's some violations. Eg synapse
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/synapse/download.cgi
>
> is being mirrored.
>
> I must say it somehow makes sense not to mirror this stuff; after all the
> "lifetime" of these releases is not supposed to be all that long and the
> number of downloads is probably low, too. It seems we indeed don't mirror
> most things, eg, they are at
>
>   http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/
>
> > However could we have a maven
> > 2 repository somewhere for the releases of incubating projects?
>
> Can't see why not. I would say somewhere inside
>
>   http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/
>
> > Or
> > could we put the incubating projects's m2 releases in the current m2
> > repository (afterall the versions of the jars have 'incubator' in
> > their name to clearly mark them?
>
> I don't have an objection to that either.
>
> > I'd be happy with either approach; the latter option is simpler as its
> > one less URL to remember (and I get confused enough as it is
> > remembering where all the maven repos are ;-) plus it minimises the
> > impact on users as projects graduate, not having to switch maven
> > repositories.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Other than that it should be easier to use many different repositories
> with maven ( :) ), I don't care very much either way. The whole idea
> behind all those policies we have is that it is pretty clear to users
> what the 'status' of the stuff they're geting is. If the filename says
> "incubating" that means users are typing that into the maven POM file;
> it seems they're not all that likely to pay much attention to whether
> its people.apache.org/dist/ or www.apache.org/dist/.

Actually thats a good argument for using a single maven 2 repository
for incubating and non-incubating releases and forcing the use of the
'incubator/incubating' text in the version of incubating projects
releases. As it means if you are looking at the POM its immediately
obvious what the incubating status is - whereaas its not obvious if
you are using different repositories (since Maven can use many remote
repositories taken from the current pom or a super-pom and so from a
pom its not completely obvious what comes from where etc).

--

James
-------