incubator-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Blaze
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:35:33 GMT
On 7/19/06, Gordon Sim <gordon.sim@virgin.net> wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
> > I hope to see some collaboration further
> > down the line so that code can be reused across ActiveMQ and Blaze.
>
> Agreed!
>
> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > I think it would be interesting to see a confluence of the APIs and
> > protocols between ActiveMQ and Blaze giving interoperability in both
> > code and on the wire.
> Again, I agree. One point to add here though is that inevitably the API
> and protocol are not entirely orthogonal (as an example, in AMQP there
> are separate 'exchange' and 'queue' concepts from which, it is intended,
> different messaging patterns can be built). The challenge will therefore
> be to allow access to all features a protocol through a standard API.
> Perhaps a layered approach will be the simplest. Regardless, I look
> forward to more collaboration on this!

Agreed! For something so apparently simple (sending messages from
producers to consumers) messaging can be amazingly complicated :)

But I'm sure we will be able to come up with some levels of reuse
across various protocols. e.g. I've already seen some quite good
layering in the soon-to-be-contributed C++ client for ActiveMQ (e.g. a
single threaded C++ layer first, then a multi threaded layer, then a
JMS-like abstraction etc).

I'm sure we'll be able to add most semantics behind a standard API and
layer added features above it where need be.
--

James
-------