incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [pre-proposal] AsyncWeb
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:24:45 GMT
Hi,
You might also want to CC Filip Hanik, fhanik@apache.org, on this
idea.  Filip has been busily working on a NIO HTTP implementation for
Tomcat, and has a working version.  We've seen some quirky performance
out of it.  But that's besides the point: I think he might be
interested in this, at least as an observer, besides having some
practical tips and possibly code to share.

Yoav

On 7/12/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/06, peter royal <proyal@apache.org> wrote:
> > I have been talking with Dave Irving who is the principal developer
> > behind AsyncWeb, <http://asyncweb.safehaus.org>, an HTTP engine built
> > upon MINA <http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/>, on
> > bringing the project to the ASF.
> >
> > I've started a proposal at <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
> > AsyncWebProposal>, assistance from others would be appreciated in
> > helping flesh it out.
> >
> > I think this would be a good addition to the ASF, as there are many
> > projects that can benefit from a Java-based non-blocking HTTP server,
> > and I would also like to see some collaboration with the
> > HttpComponents project on their HttpNIO efforts.
>
> It almost sounds like this would be a good candidate for a software
> grant instead of meriting a full incubation.  How large of a community
> is around AsyncWeb?  From the proposal, it sounds just like one
> committer - so as long as the IP clearance paperwork is filed, it
> could go right into MINA.  See:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> As an aside, I'm also a bit befuddled at why MINA lives in the
> Directory project - that just seems a bit odd.  =)
>
> That said, I'd be happy to join in on any efforts here (mentor,
> committer, user, whatever) - even though I'm a lowly C programmer.  As
> you may recall, Greg and I have written an async HTTP engine in C
> called Serf (http://svn.webdav.org/repos/projects/serf/trunk/) that is
> built on top of APR plus Subversion can now use it.  So, I've a little
> bit (ha!) of experience with writing these types of frameworks.  I've
> been wondering how the async engine would look like in Java, so this
> might be a good chance to get my hands dirty there.
>
> Good luck!  -- justin

Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
1 Mifflin Place, Suite 310