incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:09:29 GMT
> Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> > It also allows this mentor to demonstrate the role of a chair
>
> How hard is it to understand that the PMC Chair has no role (slight
> hyperbole)?

Then I guess I would have to ask you, "how hard is it to understand
that the PMC chair does, in fact, have a very specific role?".
Section 6.3 of our bylaws describes that specific role.

> If the PMC Chair is a visible role, the community is already in
> trouble.  The only role that a PMC Chair normally fills is getting the
> quarterly report filed.  And this is why I feel strongly that we are
> discussing the wrong thing to do.

I must be misunderstanding something about what you are saying,
because I can think of a few things that you have done as Incubator
PMC Chair that has been more than filing reports...and I've been glad
you've done such things.

> Projects should not be trained to rely
> upon an individual; they should be trained to act collaboratively.

I completely agree, but I've found a good PMC chair to be very helpful
to guiding the rest of PMC on process issues, among other things.  I
guess we've had different experiences in our years of participating
and chairing PMCs.

Cliff