incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mentors - the more, the merrier? [WAS Re: [VOTE] Accept Heraldry into the Incubator]
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:52:31 GMT
On 7/12/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> (And I'll note now that I'm interested in participating, although can't
> > commit the time to be a mentor right now.)
> >

> this seems like a good opportunity to reintroduce an existing issue (
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200607.mbox/%3c88f5d710607050529i1e49e7a3q53d2539fac0542bc@mail.gmail.com%3e)
> under a better heading :-)
>
> the incubator seems to be moving to favouring more mentors. this works
> better in many ways: it gives an initial ppmc a builtin quruom and provides
> better oversight. the role of a solo mentor has traditionally been difficult
> and has consumed a lot of energy. multiple mentors would allow wider
> participation (without some of the current worries about mentors becoming
> overstretched by working on too many projects).
>
> but this approach may lead to problems if none of the mentors actually have
> enough consistent energy to devote to the podling.
>
> i've been wondering whether the answer may be to have a chair for each ppmc
> analogous to the role of the pmc chair. the initial pmc would be composed of
> the mentors for the podling and so a chair would need to be elected from
> within their number. at least one mentor would therefore need to commit to
> devote the energy required to perform this role. they would also form the
> first point of contact for the incubator pmc.

This sounds good to me, unless you are implying that the ppmc would
only include mentor-types and not all interested committers.  Can't
tell from what you've written above, but I've heard others talk about
how to select a ppmc, as if it wasn't open to all committers, and I
think it should be open.

But, to your main point -- I have always favored either one dedicated
mentor or one of the mentors being identified as the primary one -- so
I like your 'ppmc chair = dedicated mentor' idea.

Cliff