incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Gwyn Evans" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Wicket
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:53:52 GMT
On 30/07/06, Craig L Russell <> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Gwyn Evans wrote:
> > On 30/07/06, Justin Erenkrantz <> wrote:
> >> On 7/27/06, Craig L Russell <> wrote:
> >> - All new development comes to the Incubator.  We expect no more
> >> 'major' releases to be made outside of the ASF.  For example, SA
> >> continued their 2.6x line at and released bug fixes.  SA 3.x
> >> was developed here at the ASF.  This is my concern with Celtix and
> >> XFire, but they both promised that no new 'major' versions will be
> >> released - only minor bug fixes, but no new features.
> >
> > I'm not sure about this, as an absolute prohibition would imply the
> > 1.x stream would go into maintenance, which might be more restrictive
> > than planned...
> The main point for me is that you are forking the Wicket code to
> create the Apache project, and intent is everything. If you're
> planning on actively developing in the old community, I'd question
> the decision to come to Apache.

It might be a question of degree, as while the intention is that the
primary development be in the 2.0 branch, there is a roadmap for the
1.* branch that includes a 1.3 which might be viewed as having "new
features", to support the "old community" which may not be in a
position to switch to the 2.0 branch, as that will be a non-trivial

That's the release branch that I'm concerned about, and my concern is
that the above, taken literally, could be read as a suggestion to
abandon our existing users...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message