incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dion Gillard" <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Wicket
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 04:24:01 GMT
This seems a little ridiculous.

What point is there in having something incubated if there are no users?
What sort of a community would it be that didn't accept feedback and
evolve based on that feedback?
How many users are willing to wait 6+ months to use something just
because it is undergoing incubation?
Why have releases from within the Incubator at all, in that case?
Surely one of the signs of a healthy community is well serviced users?

I understand the 'Incubation Process' doesn't take into account what
users do or need, but surely the Incubator PMC would see a lack of
user involvment as a negative point? To me that's one of the signs of
a community-less code dump.

> > i would much rather see wicket-1.2.2 rather then
> > wicket-incubating-1.2.2 as a release. to me incubating says "not ready for
> > production use".
>
> Keep in mind that the Incubator has very little interest in users using the
> code.  Our focus is entirely on developers, and users are "interesting" only
> if they are becoming new developers.  Otherwise, it would probably be best
> if they waited until the project leaves the Incubator.  Our branding is
> specifically to warn users away, or at least caution them that these
> projects are not endorsed.
>
>         --- Noel

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize" -
Muhammad Ali