incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Motives, suspicion and what can be done ...
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:39:10 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> It's pretty clear from all the conversations during Apachecon that
> folks don't believe in people who are wearing their Apache hats or
> at least us when we wear one.

Let's be fair about it.  Without naming names, we all know that the same
concern Dims raises above regarding himself and his company has been leveled
at others on various projects.

 - Are such concerns legitimate?
 - Are such concerns a matter of seeing in others what one is practicing?
 - Is it all entirely fictional without an ounce of reality?

Reality aside, the suspicion alone is damaging enough, and I'd be happy to
have an earnest discussion about what can be done about it.

I really don't have easy answers.  It is easy to say that unless there is
proof, we really must act as if none of the claims are valid, but people are
people and don't always act that way.  Trust is key in any community.  The
closest I can come at the moment is:

 - evaluate each contribution on its own merits, regardless of
   from whom it comes.

 - if you don't trust the submitter, be even MORE diligent, not
   less, to really force yourself to evaluate the contribution
   on its own merit.

 - when you find that the contribution really is good, be gracious,
   and re-evaluate your suspicions.

Without being willing to do this, suspicions become in-grained in reality,
whether they are valid or not.

Comments?

	--- Noel